White Magic.ca
December 11, 2018, 06:20:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: White Magic - White Magic Spell Discussions

Home   Help Arcade Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does God Exist?  (Read 46889 times)
Cassandra

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2011, 01:15:09 PM »

Some doubt the existance of God because the evil in the world. But with out evil there is no good

You know. I have never understood why people believe that. You mean it isn't even theoretically possible for an individual to become so perfected that they do no evil at all? Good exists in and of itself and does not require evil for its existence. It is perfectly possible to create a world that is good, and only good. Man! what a pessimist!
Jellybean-Kun
Wise

Yes, yes I do.

jjdnsporkfork@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile Email
« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2011, 04:37:50 PM »

Psh, no o.o

For one, if you converted *everyone* in the world to be good and happy and sunshiney, I'd still be a [very bad word]

This witty signature is not here right now, so please leave a message after the non-existant beep.
Braver men don't have my flair.
Gold Fingers
Seeing

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2011, 12:26:27 AM »

XD but it IS impossible to have a perfect world. We will always have a bin laden or a hitler. Just give it some time and another pops up

Nah
RavenMoonstone1313

View Profile Email
« Reply #183 on: October 10, 2012, 08:17:24 AM »

An answer to the Atheist question(My family and friends are Atheist, though I'll talk about my little brother because he is the best example I can think of). My brother thinks that there is something greater but what is it? He's constantly bugging me asking me to provide proof that the gods and goddesses exist. Whenever I talk to him about religion he is always confused about there being a greater being.   

Yay really bad Pagan jokes:

Q: Why did the Wiccan novitiate give up pork?

A: She thought the Rede said, "Chew what you will, but ham?--none."

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

" I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures "
chrizzy

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2013, 08:46:24 AM »

Yes, mythology gods do exist but I don't think there exists a god that forces and forbids people to do something...
Lark
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2013, 10:06:48 AM »

Yes, mythology gods do exist but I don't think there exists a god that forces and forbids people to do something...

That is certainly true of the Deities worshiped by most modern Pagans.  As a Wiccan, I believe that my Gods give me free will to make my own choices.  That being said, they also leave me to deal with the consequences of those choices and sometimes the consequences can be very painful both in this life and in lives to come.

On the other hand, some Deities...particularly the God of the Bible...does seem to have set very firm rules of behavior, ie the Ten Commandments, which apply to his followers whether they be Jewish, Christian, or Muslim.  If I followed one of those faiths then I would have to believe of course that my God had forbidden certain actions I might take.

Those behaviors that we tolerate become our standards.
Thrystal Encantatore
Wise

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 05, 2013, 09:41:04 AM »

Well, do not all religions have sets of moral guidelines? Wiccans have the Wiccan Rede.

T.E. - Thrystal Encantatore the Enchanter
Lark
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: February 05, 2013, 05:13:16 PM »

Well, do not all religions have sets of moral guidelines? Wiccans have the Wiccan Rede.

But the Wiccan Rede is merely advice on how to live, not a set of rules.  The idea that the Rede says you "must harm none" is a misunderstanding. The Rede says we are free to do any action that does not cause harm.  It is silent on those actions which do cause harm leaving it up to the individual Witch to decide what actions are appropriate in a given situation.

Modern Pagan religions tend to derive their ethical practices from internal virtues rather than externally applied rules.

Thrystal Encantatore
Wise

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 06, 2013, 07:13:50 AM »

Ah. xD Still, it's a value that applies to every Wiccan. It's nearly the same with Christians having free will which they can use to disobey the rules or obey them.

Lark
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: February 06, 2013, 10:04:21 AM »

I think when you get right down to it all religions try to teach us how to honor the Divine and live rightly with our fellow man.  I believe that Jesus articulated it rather well with his two commandments, " Love thy God" and "Love thy neighbor as thyself."

Thrystal Encantatore
Wise

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 07, 2013, 10:02:36 AM »

Technically, that was given by God Himself. Anyway, yes, they are commandments, but free will exists. That's what I'm trying to say.

Lark
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: February 07, 2013, 10:30:28 AM »

Technically, that was given by God Himself. Anyway, yes, they are commandments, but free will exists. That's what I'm trying to say.

Only if you believe that the Bible is the literal word of God and not something written by a variety of different men over thousands of years.  As a member of a non-Abrahamic faith I tend towards the latter.

But I definitely agree with you on the concept of free will.  That is a central part of the modern Pagan religions.  We have guidelines, but no rules.  We decide for ourselves what is right and then accept the consequences of our actions.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
  Print  

Jump to: