White Magic.ca
October 22, 2019, 02:59:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: White Magic - White Magic Spell Discussions

Home   Help Arcade Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Healing Goddess  (Read 7131 times)
Soullus

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2010, 03:16:25 AM »

I was trying to cast a spell at my alter to heal an injury, I drew a pentagram on a peice of paper, and inside that pentagram, I wrote the spell, "Panacea, Healer of the weak, I invoke thy powers, Heal this wound, as it is thy will, so mote it be" I chanted that for a few minutes then lit it ablaze on a candle that I lit, I sat it in my glass bowl with a pentagram at the bottom, the flame began to turn a bright color of blue and green, then when it was fully ashes, wind, somehow in my house(lol) blew them away, of course they landed on my carpet, but hey, I just posted this incase anyone else wants to try it, I cast this a weak ago, and my scar is completely gone.
Thrystal Encantatore
Wise

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 06:34:36 AM »

Is Panacea a Greek Goddess, alongside Asclepius? Cool spell by the way.

T.E. - Thrystal Encantatore the Enchanter
Soullus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 07:33:16 AM »

Indeed she is, and thanks for the spell comment =) Im a beginner, and so far, the spells I have tried have worked
Thrystal Encantatore
Wise

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 08:02:53 AM »

You're welcome Cheesy. Good job with the spells too!

Lark
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:59:55 AM »

Personally I would not call this a spell.  It is more like a prayer or request to the Goddess to help you.

Here's the way I normally explain the difference.

In a prayer we turn to the Gods and request their help in making the world take the shape we desire.  In this case you asked Panacea to heal your scar if she would.  To me that would put this particular working more in the prayer category.

In spellwork we use our own energy and the energy all  around us so that we can shape the world as we desire.  We don't need the intervention of a God or a Goddess to accomplish our goal.  Since you weren't drawing and directing energy on your own but rather counting on the help of Panacea I would say that this working you did would not fall into the category of being a spell.

When invoking the aid of the Gods in something that you desire I would suggest that you don't simply plug and play a God or Goddess as if they were ingredients in a spell.  They are Divine beings after all and that would be highly disrespectful.  That's why it is often recommended that you develop a relationship with the Deity on whom you wish to call for aid.  That way when you call on them they will recognize you and feel an obligation to aid.  Think of it this way, if a child needs something are they more apt to get help if they go up and tug on the coat of a random stranger or if they go tug on the coat of their parent?  Our relationship with our Gods is much the same.

Hope you find this helpful.

-Lark-

Those behaviors that we tolerate become our standards.
Thrystal Encantatore
Wise

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 04:18:39 AM »

For me, prayers can be spells too! Only, prayers are more seriously chanted, as in you directly speak to God/s. I'll try to give details:

Prayers - You praise/apologize/thank/ask help from God/s

Spells - You chant words of command/ask help from higher beings for things to take effect

There's the similarity.

- - - - - - -

Soullus' spell is a 'spell' because he simply asked Panacea for help so that the actual spell would take effect.

Prayer form: Panacea, please heal this scar...

Spell form: Panacea, let me use Thy powers to heal this scar...

or something...

Lark
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 12:26:18 PM »

Nope, spells and prayers are entirely different things.

As I said in my post, spells do not require the aid of a God or Goddess.  They operate strictly on the energy raised by the magic user.

Prayers come when we ask or invoke the Divine to aid us.    You mentioned that you felt the difference is that in a spell you command...well we never command the Gods.  They aid us or they don't as they wish.  So by your definition of a spell being based on commanding then a spell would never include calling on the Gods for aid because one doesn't command the Gods.

You may very well get the same results either way, but how you get there is a different process.

-Lark-

Note that I'm not trying to harsh towards the OP in this thread.  I am trying to help them understand better how magic works so that they can become more talented at spellwork.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:28:02 PM by Lark » Logged

Thrystal Encantatore
Wise

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 08:24:34 AM »

There is a misunderstanding. What I meant in my definition was this:

1. You chant words of command.
2. You ask help from higher beings for things to take effect.

I didn't say 'You chant words of command higher beings...'. But oh well...

For me, higher beings can intervene with spells...

Spell - Example:

Undines of Water, Sylphs of Air
Giveth us clouds and free us from despair
Shieldeth us from Salamanders' Sun
Hear these words and have them done

*Power comes from you and the spirits; Will/Intentions and Actions come from you

Prayer - Example:

Our Father who art in Heaven, holy be Thy name, Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. Amen.

*Power comes from God; Will/Intentions come from you; Action comes from God

They are different but mentioning a higher being in a spell doesn't automatically make it a real prayer.
- - - - - - -
I'm quite enjoying this debate lol Cheesy

Lark
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 11:58:30 AM »

Ah, but in this case the OP said ""Panacea, Healer of the weak, I invoke thy powers, Heal this wound, as [b]it is thy will[/b]" so he is leaving things up to the will of the Deity, not his own will.  Since magic is about changing the shape of the Universe to correspond to your own will then this is no longer magic, it is prayer.

There are some overlaps between prayer and spellwork and it is certainly possible to have a Deity intervene in a spell.  But it is often a good idea to go with one or the other.  For instance if your spell is worded like the one here so that it is the God/dess who is doing what they will you may not get the results you want...you get the results the Deity thinks you need.  In that case it might be better to leave out the invocation of Deity and work solely with your own ability to do magic with a clear visualization of the outcome of the working.

-Lark-

MiddeM

It's good to be clever, but not to show it.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 12:18:28 PM »

Fully agree with Lark, these are not spells.

And to say the truth, i almost never found a real spell than just a random chanting or a pray.

Even, this:

Undines of Water, Sylphs of Air
Giveth us clouds and free us from despair
Shieldeth us from Salamanders' Sun
Hear these words and have them done

Is not a spell but a pray again. What i see in spells as i see here is asking from someone/something to happen something but where is the use of your own energy? Where is the use of your own powers? Why should you always wait for others to do your work than you doing it?

I was reaserching for the real spells. Spells that i believe are in a mystical language, created from a higher beeing and not from a human. As i believe that in that language, the spells will be real spells and they will use your energy and power to do what you want and not ask for others to help you.

Spells with mystical words without a real meaning. What i want to say with that?
A spell that dont just call a name of fire to use it but THE name of fire and the fire it self, so you use it in the way you want.

An example:

If you want to burn up a tree (FOR EXAMPLE ONLY! NOT THAT I AM GOING TO BURN UP A TREE) say the fire as it is said by the universe and not by a language of a human and make it obey to your will. Like (If fire is Riolak) "Riolak!" and so fire will appear. If you want to make use it with a certain way, then add more words or something.

That was what i was searching for, for months now and i could not find. That, is what i call magic.

A wizard is never late, nor his early, he arrives precisely when he means to.
Thrystal Encantatore
Wise

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 08:25:47 AM »

To Lark:

Ooh, I see. That technically is a prayer, but totally looks like a spell xD Cheesy

To MiddeM:

Yah, my spell is incomplete, but still, will and intention is significant.

JoeY34kaze
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 09:34:48 AM »

whatever it is it worked for me.
Thrystal Encantatore
Wise

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 07:27:58 AM »

Cool Cheesy

MiddeM

It's good to be clever, but not to show it.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 10:34:23 AM »

I didint said that it didint worked or not, i am saying it is not a spell but a pray.

Spell is something like "By the Power of The Light, Burn!" and not something like "I call you xxxx to do bla bla bla, ohh please xxxx do blablabla"

A wizard is never late, nor his early, he arrives precisely when he means to.
Jellybean-Kun
Wise

Yes, yes I do.

jjdnsporkfork@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 01:05:07 PM »

We finished that discussion middeyy, get with the times yo

This witty signature is not here right now, so please leave a message after the non-existant beep.
Braver men don't have my flair.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: